Google+ Nine Red: New Love: Cut Canvas

Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Love: Cut Canvas

I was in an art store the other day and saw a great deal on canvas I couldn't pass up. I didn't know what I wanted to do with them, other than possible make some great fabric covered canvases, but I knew I had to grab 'em. Glad I did, because after a few days thought and playing around with them, I decided to grab my knife, my cutting board, throw on a movie and dig in.  Here's what I came up with:
 Free hand, geometrics.  Reminds me of crystals or something.
 Freehand.... anything goes design. haha.
 Floral
 Tidal
 A little Transamerica action..... backed with a map.
and lastly, the freehand tree.  These are 11x14. So, these were fun & easy, just time consuming! I put them facedown on the cutting board, and just went to town with my knife.  Afterwards I gave everyone a coat of a few of my favorite spray paints (Jade is actually my #1) and stepped back to enjoy.  I think these would look great in a set.  I'd love to see yours if you give it a try, and if you don't want to try your hand at this but still want it for your home, these are for sale & I love custom orders.  There's a lot of wiggle room here too, fabric backed, paper backed, multi layered... endless. Have a wonderful day, it's beautiful for "winter"!

Post a Comment

16 comments:

  1. These are awesome Jesse! I love all the different looks and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! What kind of knife did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for such a late reply! I didn't realize... I just used an exacto. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. how much is the tree cut out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there! All the cutout canvases are available in my etsy shop:

      http://NineRed.etsy.com

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. I especially love the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any tips/pointers for the beginnger? Are there certain styles that will not work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shauna! I'd say, coating the back of the canvas in mod podge or glue helps stiffen it for cutting. Use an exacto knife, cut from the back with the canvas face down on a cutting board. Drawing your design helps eliminate confusion. Good luck, send pics! 9redinfo@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Found your post through Pinterest. Love them and the variety/options you shared! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These canvases look amazing!! I'd like to give this a try but I'm not the least bit artistic so free hand really isn't an option for me. Do you know where I could find some nice floral/nature templates that I could trace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.... I'm not sure, you could try stencil sites or maybe just use google images to find a pattern you like, then turn it black and white and print? Just make sure you have a good blade!

      Delete
  8. Love the idea! Just tried it myself. How did you keep the branches from caving inwards?

    -Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the canvas is behaving sort of loose you can lay it face down, and put some books on the back to press the canvas back to flat over night. Another method is to strengthen the canvas first, by adding a layer or mod podge, glue, or even clear coat. Let it dry, then start your cuts!

      Delete
  9. Love these! You have just given me a solution to a project that has been in my head for ages! I wanted to create a box frame cut out picture using colour change light strip inside the frame to create an illuninated piece of wall art. This will work brilliantly!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shareaholic